About  Us

Brewster Technical College.

 

Vision / Mission Statement -- Directions -- COE -- Faculty and Staff 

 

 History of the Institution



Henry W. Brewster Technical College has a long, rich history. The school has provided educational opportunities to Hillsborough County, the City of Tampa, the City of Temple Terrace and the entire Tampa Bay area residents for over 85 years.

In 1923, Mrs. Florence Brewster donated the property on which the school is located to the Hillsborough County School Board in memory of her husband, Dr. Henry W. Brewster. A binding condition of the donation was that the property must be utilized for vocational technical training, or the property would revert to the Brewster family heirs. The "Opportunity School" was chartered and classes began on September 13, 1926, and the first program completers graduated in June of 1927. 

Brewster Technical Center has served the community through the years by meeting business and industry needs: teaching occupational coursework and job skills to students and industry training updates for employees and employers. During World War II, the school operated 24 hours a day, providing training progams for a workforce depleted by demands for military enlistment.

In August 1980, the programs housed at Brewster moved to the newly renovated Erwin Technical Center on Hillsborough Avenue in Tampa. At that time, Brewster became the "Tampa Skills Center." Along with vocational technical training programs, the "Individualized Manpower Training System" services were added to the curriculum, thereby addressing the need for basic skills and vocational preparatory instruction.

The Brewster Skills Center merged with Erwin Technical Center in July 1982 becoming the Brewster campus of the Erwin Vocational Technical Center. Brewster remained a "satellite facility" while a new building was being constructed. When it opened in July 1989, it was officially designated an area vocational-technical center. In 1992-1993, the Adult with Disabilities Program was relocated to the Brewster campus from Tampa Bay Technical Evening School. 

In April 1999, the Hillsborough County Adult High School was relocated to the Brewster Technical Center campus--since being moved to its present location on 40th street in Tampa whereas Brewster continues to offer outstanding ESOL and GED based education opportunities.

On December 9, 2014, Brewster Technical Center was officially renamed Brewster Technical College. Currently, Brewster Technical College provides adults in Hillsborough County and the surrounding community with a continuum of offerings from basic skills instruction, English language acquisition, applies academics for adult education, academic and vocational training for adults with disabilities to technical programs in which students learn specific occupational skill sets and earn certificates required by business and industry.


 

Notice:

Information on this form is for Florida Department of Education reporting requirements ONLY. This information WILL NOT be used to determine program eligibility or admission. Courses and programs are offered as part of the adult education program of Hillsborough County Schools under the direction of the School Board of Hillsborough County.

No person shall, on the basis of sex, race, color, national origin or handicap, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity under the direction of the local education agency.

 

 

 

                                                                                  National Technical Honor Society.           Council on Occupational Education.            Hillsborough County Public Schools.         sacs.      Hillsborough Technical Colleges.

Sunday the 22nd. Free Joomla Templates designed by Joomla 2.5 templates.
website security